Forums » Discussions » Write

elizabethwashburn

Plan your essay. Now make an outline with all the ideas you have gathered. Summarize each of your main ideas in one sentence. Then make a list if necessary, using bullets to support paper writer evidence. Overall, you should try to support each idea with three arguments or pieces of evidence.

-Topic: "Eli Whitney's Disinfectant Machine Made Life Harder for African-American Slaves." -Example: "The success of cotton made it difficult for slaves to buy their own." -Example: "Many slaves from the North were at risk of being kidnapped and taken south to work on cotton plantations." -Example: "In 1790, before the invention of the grain machine, America had a total slave population of approximately 700,000. In 1810, after the introduction of the dewatering machine, there were a total of 1.2 million slaves; an increase of 70%. "

Write the core of your essay. Here it is very important to think about how long your essay should be; do not write full pages if your teacher has asked you for no more than 5 paragraphs. On the other hand, you should write freely and let your thoughts run wild. You can always shorten paragraphs later.

Don't try to generalize, Statements like, "______ is the biggest problem facing the world today" may cause the reader to take your point seriously beforehand if they disagree with you. Now compare the first sentence with a statement like, "______ is an important world problem". The latter sounds much more plausible. Don't start your statements with "I", such as "I think ..." Avoid the personal pronouns "you/you", "we", "my", "your/you're" or "us/our" too. You appear much more professional and persuasive if you simply phrase your statement with supporting facts. Instead of writing "I thought Frum was conservatively biased," better tell the reader why your statement is correct: "Frum is conservatively biased when he writes that ..." Don't lose sight of your subject and your position. The temptation is often great to let your mind wander or add additional information that also seems interesting. However, this distracts you from your purpose and help writing a dissertation makes your essay weaker. So don't try to stray from your topic!