Foren » Discussions » Nearly a fifth of Earth's surface transformed since 1960

geemong

Nearly a fifth of Earth's surface transformed since 1960

Whether it's turning forests into SLOTXO สูตรเดินเบ็ท โบนัสเข้ารัว ๆ ทุน 100 แตก 10,000 cropland or savannah into pastures, humanity has repurposed land over the last 60 years equivalent in area to Africa and Europe combined, researchers said on Tuesday (May 11).

If you count all such transitions since 1960, it adds up to about 43 million square km, four times more than previous estimates, according to a study in Nature Communications.

"Since land use plays a central role for climate mitigation, biodiversity and food production, understanding its full dynamics is essential for sustainable land use strategies," lead author Karina Winkler, a physical geographer at Wageningen University & Research in the Netherlands, told AFP.

Plants and soil - especially in tropical forests - soak up about 30 per cent of manmade carbon pollution, so large-scale landscape changes could spell success or failure in meeting Paris Agreement temperature targets.

The 2015 climate treaty enjoins nations to stop global heating at "well below" two degrees Celsius, and 1.5 degrees Celsius if possible.

The planet has already warmed 1.2 degrees Celsius above the preindustrial benchmark, enough to unleash a crescendo of deadly storms, sea level rise and other impacts.

Since 1960, Earth's total forest cover has shrunk by nearly a million square km, while areas covered by cropland and pastures have each increased by roughly the same extent, the study found.

But the global figures obscure important regions differences.

aliana45

Wow, this is really interesting reading. I am glad I found this and got to read it. Great job on this content. I like it. eye doctor broken arrow

aliana45

I was impressed with the site that you created, so memotipasi many people to be more advanced, there also kunjugi me, as a comparison supremesaunas